Saturday, December 29, 2012

Departmental Scholarships

Little known fact: many colleges offer scholarships that you can apply for after you have enrolled and declared a major.  These are known as departmental scholarships and most people apply for them sophomore year once they have settled on a major.  The idea is that if you prove that you have potential, the school will pay you to stay in their programs (seems a bit like bribery to me, "Here, I'll leave some money in your student account if you take these classes and write me good reviews *wink wink*", but I'll take it).

These usually max out at $1,000 or so - which is a huge help if you get several of them.  It helps to be involved in multiple programs (hah, you thought you wouldn't be stretched so thin after high school, didn't you).  For example, I am majoring in Spanish Education with a minor in Performing Arts.  So I can apply for two different scholarships in the spanish department, one in the education department, and a talent scholarship in the theatre department.  If I were to get all four of these, I would be paying about $2,500 less every year (which is a significant chunk of rent money).

So the point is: you must continue to beaf up your resume even after high school.  Put down that bottle of pills!

No comments:

Post a Comment