Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Testing

We all know that in high school, despite the teachers' best intentions, testing comes in waves where there will be three weeks of no assessments and then bam! every teacher gives a test.  It's evil.  Testing waves are second only to death in the the leading causes of death in teenagers (tell your friends).

There is a phenomena in college called "Eternal Assessmenting" (yeah, I made that term up, shocking I know).  Basically, you never stop being assessed in college.  A combination of classes giving tests more often, and each class having multiple ways to assess at once add up to the sad reality that you never go a week without a test or an essay or something.

This means if you get into the mindset of "I'll work on that after I take this other test" then you will fail. You can't just study for one thing at a time.  For example, this week, I have two quizzes, three essays due, one project assigned, three books to read, and two unit tests.  I only have 5 classes so if you look at the numbers there, I have 2.2 assessments per class due THIS WEEK.  In addition to other reading assignments, exercises, and homework things.

Don't freak out yet though, because I haven't gotten to the best part yet: I am done with all of it!  Apparently, I have an awesome system and now I am a week ahead in material.  Yup, I rock.  So long story short, it is possible to not be overwhelmed if you stay on top of things (I call it "being a wench"  oh snap, that was a little bit too dirty for me but I'm gonna leave it there anyway).

*Incidentally, I am pretty much out of things to write about so you guys have to be active readers and tell me what you would like to hear about, what you think is funny, and what I should immediately stop doing and never attempt again.  Comment below!*

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. What's your method? Just curious, though. My method is working out fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My method is this ingenious concept called "winging it" and forcing myself to "do homework" for every subject every day

      Delete
    2. What?? Actually doing the homework?? *Gasp!*

      Delete
  2. Wait, we really do want to hear your method, esp. those of us drowning in junior year!

    ReplyDelete