Thursday, November 29, 2012

What is a "Peaker"?

I have branched out, guys!  There are people that never went to Peak reading my blog now (pretty exciting, no?).  So I have decided to clear up the meaning of the word "Peaker" just so that everyone will be clear and can clearly see what I am clearly talking about.  Is that clear?  (Is it just me or has the word "clear" lost all meaning?)

Peaker: n, someone who went to Peak to Peak Charter School for long enough to become acculturated to its college prep-ness and over-acheiving student body.  OR, someone who, even though they never attended Peak, still possesses some of the qualities of a Peak student, namely: being an overachiever, enjoying school (but not admin), becoming involved in school groups/organizations, and being enough of a hipster to live so close to Boulder.

"But, Haley," you are saying, "Despite your very clear definition of a Peaker, I'm still not sure if I am one..."

Good question! (even though it wasn't actually a question, more of a statement with an indicated query).

If you are a Peaker, you should be able to answer "yes" to at least 6 of the following questions:
1) Did you, when reading the above imagined conversation, notice that you didn't actually ask a question before I clarified that the question was implied?
2) Does it bother you if I dont put the corectly spelled words an grammar in my sentances, or when I includ typos to a certain xcess?
3) Are you currently wearing (or plan to wear today) the following articles of clothing: anything homemade, legwarmers, a slouchy beanie, an ugly sweater, brightly patterned tights, skinny jeans, a "unicorn horn" hairstyle, a thespian hoodie/t-shirt, or a floor-length skirt?
4) Do you sing along with the songs in Disney movies?
5) Would you be willing to sit outside the mall and play music on an out-of-tune instrument with me in 10 minutes?
6) Do you have at least one of the following bands on your iPod: Imagine Dragons, Of Monsters and Men, Fun, Mumford and Sons, Horse Feathers, Young the Giant, or Blind Pilot?
8) Do you have very strong opinions about everything? (Did you just think, "Well not EVERYTHING, but some things..."?  Yeah, that means that you even have a strong opinion about what you have strong opinions about.  This is worse that I thought).
9) Did you notice that I skipped the number 7?
10) Is it possible to drive to a restaurant that is 17.59 minutes away, order, eat, and drive back in under 40 minutes?
11) Have you ever read a book for fun instead of watching daytime television?
12) On a coolness scale from boogers to Christmas cookies, would you rate school spirit somewhere between cantaloupes and those black goldfish with huge popped-out eyes?

There you have it!  Don't worry, even if you aren't a Peaker, you can still get something out of my blog, it just might not be as funny as it would be if you understood the following pun: "I was late to class yesterday, but I wasn't Tardis because if I had one then I could have gone back in time and showed up early".  Wow, that was so bad.  Please forgive me.

Fight on, little Peakers!  Now go back to studying for AP tests and the ACT.

2 comments: