Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Way Syllabi Work

*POSSEXCLUSADVICE: I really have no idea if this is a universal college concept or not*

In high school, you get a syllabus and forge your parents' signatures and then turn it back in and never see it again.

In college, your syllabus is your lifeline.  All of your homework for the whole semester as well as what you will be doing in each class period will be outlined in your syllabus.  Homework won't be put up on the board, you won't be reminded about tests and due dates, and you will be expected to look in the syllabus for the requirements for each assignment.  I swear, if syllabi had arms, they could easily take over the world.

I like this system because it makes it super easy to predict when you will be drowning in work and when you will have time to party (and by "party" I mean "go to Bible study", duh).  The only evil thing about it is that some teachers will try to trick you by hiding assignments in the class-explanation part of the syllabus and not in the chart with the rest of the homework.  I have a professor who literally laughed maniacally when 90% of the class didn't have part of the homework for that day because he had made it so that you had to have read the entire syllabus in order to understand how to do it.  So yeah,  use your syllabi or your professors will cackle at you (and not in a cute-but-slightly-creepy Quinlan way).

Also, in case you didn't notice, I am still a little bit strapped for topics so if you have ideas or suggestions, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Haley, this advice is even coming in handy for this year! I bought a jumbo bag of Blowpops, and it saved me today because I was about ready to fall asleep in Physics. :) So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I do love being useful :) thank you Cuppwala

      Delete